CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A visit from Grandpa Coach

Seven plus years ago, when Adam was soon to be born, I asked my dad what he would like the kids to call him. In my family, we always referred to our grandparents by their title plus their first name (i.e. Grandma Sarah, Grandma Katherine, etc). I thought though that I would let our parents choose. Michael's father and my mother are deceased, so they got Grandpa Leroy and Grandma Sherry by default. Michael's mother chose Nummie, which was how Frankie already knew her. Michael's step-father was already known as Daddy Jack, so that stuck too. Hiram chose not to have a title, so we assigned Grandpa Hiram to him (although he objects because technically he says he's not their grandparent, we consider him to be so anyway). Mary Kay chose KK because that's what her nieces and nephew already called her. My father, who had coached soccer for many years, jokingly said "I don't know Kristin. Tell them to call me Coach, alright." So I did :-) He became Grandpa Coach, and Grandpa Coach it remains.

We loved having him here for Christmas, and hope he gets to come back sooner rather than later. We had a really beautiful visit - nice and simple. Meals, a little thrift store shopping (if you know my dad, it's the only place he shops - well, that and eBay), exchanging of Christmas gifts (thanks to both Dad & MK for their generosity), and just family time together. They say to always leave them wanting more - well, Dad - we want more. We miss you and wish we could see you a lot more often.



2 comments:

kstrack said...

we tried to convince my mom to be called Nana but she objected! :) That is so great you could have your dad around this year!

Kath said...

Such a sweet picture!