Adam just had a birthday and as a result, he has enough Legos to carpet his room with them. And he has. And every day we have to tell him to clean his Legos up off his floor.
Every.
Single.
Day.
And today, I reached my Lego limit. I gave him an hour to clean up his floor - a job that should have taken 20 minutes. And when it wasn't done in an hour, I told him his time was up - he had taken too long, and any Legos left on his floor were now long-lost.
He cried.
A lot.
He really, really loves his Legos.
And so, trying hard to follow the example of the Lord, I gave Adam a chance to recover his Legos before I vacuumed them up FOREVER.
9:17 pm -
"Adam," I said, "Was this a hard lesson to learn?"
"Yes." He sniffed sadly and looked at me through red-rimmed eyes.
"I'm sorry you had to learn it this way. Is this how you want to learn your lessons?"
"No."
"You have until 9:30 to show me that you really did learn. Get those Legos picked up."
Sobbing, he immediately turned and ran up the stairs. "THANK YOU! I'M SO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!!"
And, watching him go through my tear-filled eyes, all I could think was, "Me too, son. Me too."
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment