This year was different in that this fire was about to spread...quickly, and far. But we didn't know this yet.
We went about business as usual. Later that night, our friends, the Brays, joined us for dinner. We sat down to eat around 7:15ish, as dusk was setting in. Throughout our meal we took turns checking out the fire that was starting to crawl over the mountainside we view from our back door. We learned that families who lived high up in the mountain were being evacuated to the junior high that was about a block from our home. We still weren't too worried. After all, we were close to the place they were evacuating to.
![]() |
| The view about a block from my home at about 3:30 |
In the ten minutes it took us to learn that the evacuation site was being moved a few miles away, the fire tripled in size. Although we hadn't received any kind of word that our neighborhood was expected to be evacuated, we started gathering our photos, clothing, shoes, and important papers. It was a fairly unorganized packing spree as we stuffed our clothing in plastic bags. Although I felt very peaceful about the possible outcomes of this raging fire, we were preparing for the worst.
![]() |
| When we decided to pack |
![]() |
| What the mountain looked like as we were leaving |
By the time we were halfway out of our neighborhood I regretted my decision. Given the smoke and the traffic though, it was too late to turn back.
We headed for a friend's home, about 25 miles from our home. Michael and the kids eventually settled in for a restless sleep, and I stayed glued to Facebook watching for every little update. I learned that more and more of our community was being evacuated, and I started to get a little bit worried.I think fear for my pets was the single concern that kept me up all night. I called the city and asked them if there was any way to evacuate my pets. They told me that if my home did catch on fire, firefighters would be alerted to the pets and make every effort to get them out. This didn't go very far in assuaging my guilt. I literally slept for 55 minutes the whole night, keeping my phone on my lap in case I got the dreaded call that my house had been damaged.
![]() |
| A few blocks from my home |
Through the night, media sources reported that four homes had been burned but that we wouldn't learn the full extent of the damage until morning light. From what I could gather from neighbors on Facebook, media websites, and our city's website, our home was still a few blocks from the fire line. For me, the actual fire was coming way to close for comfort. I just simply could not go to sleep and kept my vigil by computer light. By dawn, I was physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. I took a shower and Michael and I learned that they were letting residents in up to 14100 South. We live at 14172 South. We headed for home, ready to rescue our pets, not sure if they would let us in.
To be continued...
(photo credits given to Heather Genessy, Doran Barton, Christopher Jones, Clayton Tycksen, and some unknown sources)






1 comment:
Wow. Talk about feeling the need to have my emergency preparedness in order. That is so terrifying!
Post a Comment